EU Citizens and Remaining in the UK*
If you’re a European Union (EU) citizen living in the UK, you and your family can apply for ‘settled status’ if you want to continue living here after June 2021.
You will not need to apply if you’re an Irish citizen or have indefinite leave to remain, but your family members from outside the UK and Ireland will.
The scheme will open fully by March 2019. The deadline for applying will be 30 June 2021. You may be able to apply after this date if you’re joining a family member in the UK.
To be eligible for settled status, you’ll need to:
- be an EU citizen, or a family member of an EU citizen
- have been living in the UK continuously for 5 years (‘continuous residence’)
- have started living in the UK by 31 December 2020
If you’ve lived in the UK for less than 5 years, you’ll generally be eligible for ‘pre-settled status’ instead.
If you’re a non-EU citizen, you will need to show your relationship to an EU citizen living here.
The scheme will open fully by March 2019.
The deadline for applying will be 30 June 2021. You may be able to apply after this date if you’re joining a family member in the UK.
The application form will be online. You’ll be able to get support over the phone or in person if you need help doing things online.
When you apply, you’ll need proof of:
- your identity
- your residence in the UK, unless you have a valid permanent residence document or valid indefinite leave to remain
- your relationship to a family member from the EU living in the UK, if you’re from outside the EU
The fee to apply (subject to approval by Parliament) will be:
- £65 if you’re 16 or over
- £32.50 if you’re under 16
It’ll be free to apply if:
- you already have valid indefinite leave to remain or a valid permanent residence document
- you’re applying to move from pre-settled status to settled status
- you’re a child in local authority care
For assistance, you can contact 03333 445 675 Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm or contact the local Citizens' Advice Bureau on 03444 111 444.Monday to Friday 10am to 4pm.*
*The documents posted on this page contain external links or pointers to information created and maintained by other public and private organizations. These links and pointers are provided for the user’s convenience. Beechfield School does not control or guarantee the accuracy, relevance, timeliness or completeness of this outside information. The inclusion of links or pointers to particular items is not intended to reflect their importance, nor is it intended as an endorsement by Beechfield School of any views expressed or products or services offered on these outside sites or the organisations sponsoring the sites. Beechfield School does not endorse individual vendors, products or services. Therefore, any reference herein to any vendor, product or services by trade name, trademark, or manufacturer or otherwise does not constitute or imply the endorsement, recommendation or approval of Beechfield School.