Design and Technology
At Beechfield Primary School, we aim to provide all children with a broad and balanced curriculum helping to prepare them for life beyond primary education.
We encourage children to use their creativity and imagination to design, make and evaluate products that solve real and relevant problems within a variety of contexts, considering their own and others’ needs, wants and values. Design and Technology encourages children to learn, to think and intervene creatively to solve problems both as individuals and part of a team.
At Beechfield School, we aim, wherever possible, to link the work the children undertake to other curriculum areas such as maths, science, engineering, computing, and art. The children are also given opportunities to reflect upon and evaluate past and present design technology, its uses, and its effectiveness, and are encouraged to become innovators and risk-takers.
Through a variety of creative and practical activities, we teach the knowledge, understanding and skills required to engage in an interactive process of designing and creating. The children design and create products that consider function and purpose, and which are relevant to a range of sectors such as home, school, leisure, and culture.
When designing and making, the children are taught to:
Generate, develop, and model ideas using research, design criteria, classwork, and discussion to create appealing products fit for purpose.
Be able to select from and use a wide range of materials, tools, equipment, and components to best perform a practical task.
Be able to judge the quality of work against design criteria in order to consider the views of others and ways to improve their work.
Apply knowledge learnt in class to technical work, demonstrating an understanding of how to apply the knowledge practically.
· Apply their understanding of how to strengthen, stiffen and support more complex structures.
· Understand and use mechanical and electrical systems in their products.
· Understand some of the ways that food can be processed and the difference between various cooking methods.
We ensure that the:
· Children are in an environment where they can develop the creative, technical, and practical skills necessary to confidently perform daily tasks and participate in an increasingly technological world.
· Build and apply a collection of knowledge, experience, and techniques in order to skilfully make and design high-quality products.
· Understand and practice the principles of nutrition while cooking.
· Children learn how to display creativity through their work by evaluating past and present product examples developing a deeper understanding of the impact of products in our daily life.
At Beechfield School, our Design and Technology curriculum allows children to use their problem-solving, creativity and imaginative skills to design and make products. The children will also delve into the consideration of others’ wants and needs as well as self-evaluating their own work.