Snow Day Information
At Beechfield School we will always endeavour to keep the school open, however on occasion, severe weather may mean that it is unsafe for children and staff to get in to school.
In order to ensure you are informed as quickly as possible of anything that may have an impact on a normal school day, we will be using a system called Everbridge.
Please take five minutes to register your details so that you can receive immediate information and updates. To sign up, please visit member.everbridge.net/index/892807736725489 and click on the “sign up” button located at the top right hand side of the page on the grey strip, and from there follow the instructions. It should take no more than five minutes to register and you can edit your information at any time should you change your mobile number or email address.
You can have two devices added for each communication type if you wish to – this means that in addition to adding your own mobile number and email address, you can include the mobile number and email address of a partner or a grandparent in your registration process. They too would then receive any messages in relation to the school’s closure. Alternatively, interested parties could register themselves separately.
If you have children at more than one school you can register for those schools too in a single registration by selecting all schools your children attend.
With this in mind, if you think the school may be closed due to severe weather conditions, please follow the guidance below:
- Check on Hertfordshire County Council’s website www.hertfordshire.gov.uk
- Listen to local radio BOB FM 106.7 & 106.9
- Check the Head's Twitter feed @HeadBeechfield
- Please do not call the school as it will be unlikely anyone will be on site.
If we are still open:
- Please walk to school if it is safe and practical to do so.
- If you have to drive, please drive safely and park away from the school to avoid congestion, taking care not to obstruct driveways.
- Volunteer to help clear snow from the playground (bring a shovel!).
If we are closed:
- Stay safe and have fun.
- Keep checking our social media for regular updates.
- Volunteer to help clear snow from the playground to help get the school open.
Snow Day Information
If school needs to close unexpectedly, your child’s learning can still continue at home. Here are some suggestions:
- Wrap up warm and play in the snow
- Write a recount of your snow play
- Snuggle up with a good book
- Create a snowy picture
- Take photographs of a snowy scene and write a sentence about the picture
- Practise your times tables
- Write instructions about how to build a snowman
- Write a newspaper report about the snow
- Write a story about an adventure in the snow
- Write a snow poem
- Write a letter to someone in a hot country where they never have snow and tell them what it is like here in the UK.